open files

Tarun Karra tarun820 at yahoo.com
Fri Feb 20 18:47:12 GMT 2004

hi jason,

>The patch I'm working on will do this. I'm promising people it'll be
>done by Monday (I hit a little roadblock in getting Cygwin to cooperate,
>hopefully I'll still be able to finish by then). The openfile manager most
>definitely uses the backup semantics flag if it can back up open files.

great news man... awesome... good job!!!!!

Is it going to be open source or is it going to be a commercial product that we have to buy.

thanx man.
tarun

"Jason M. Felice" <jfelice at cronosys.com> wrote:On Fri, Feb 20, 2004 at 08:16:46AM -0800, Tarun Karra wrote:
> hi,
>
> 1) yes iam talking about the suggested "braindamaged windows OS(2000)". Iam trying to mount the drive from windows to linux and do a local rsync between mounted folder and a local folder.
> 2) What happens when my mounted folder contains a "OPEN FILE" Does rsync ignore it or does rysnc crash.
> 3) Also what additonal considerations should we take when we are backing up from windows to a linux machine.
>
> jason::
> Win32 backup semantics : what are these?????

Like anything else in Windows, it's a kludge ontop of a kludge ontop of
another kludge in order to fix the original kludge. Since Windows
programs can't rely on being able to open files that other programs have
open, there would be no way to write a useful tape backup program. To
fix, they added "backup semantics". If your process has permission to
do so, it can request backup semantics which will allow it to open files
which are already open.

Of course it's this sort of thinking which is the reason why the Windows
API to open a stupid file has seven parameters and a buttload of flags
and pointers to structures which no longer work in recent versions of
Windows.

--
Jason M. Felice
Cronosys, LLC