open files

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Fri Feb 20 05:29:52 GMT 2004

::coughs::

Another way of phrasing that would be to say "If your OS prevents open
files from being accessed normally, you need to deal with that at the OS
level."

And in case you were wondering, yes, Windows is a "brain-damaged" OS in
that regard (and many others, but I digress).  Under Windows, rsync will
successfully back up any file which you could make a regular copy of
using a simple drag-and-drop, but will fail to back up any file you
could not make a copy of using a simple drag-and-drop.  This means that
enormous chunks of your system directory and various program directories
*will not* successfully backup using rsync unless you've done something
special and non-rsync-related to Windows itself to make it quit behaving
badly in that respect.

I don't currently know of any good way to test which files are only
write-locked during use and which files are completely locked during use
other than by just trying a copy operation and seeing if it works.

If that behavior doesn't suit you, your options are basically 1. switch
to an OS that allows the root user to have root access, 2. spend $500 or
more for a commercial backup utility that gets around Windows' odd
file-locking behavior, or 3. make Microsoft redesign their OS.

Option 1 seemed like the easiest and most reliable to implement on my
end, but YMMV. :)