Log formatting: quoting format option flags in Perl

Shifra Raffel Shifra.Raffel at ucop.edu
Fri Feb 20 03:19:52 GMT 2004

Hello,
I'm having trouble with setting desired punctuation and spaces with log
formatting in a perl script.

The log-format options I am using are  --log-format=%h%a%l%o%f%t%u%c. Full
rsync command at end of this message.

When I run the rsync command and write the results to a file,
$results = `$rsyncstr 2>&1`,
my log format options are ignored if I have the options quoted in the
command, and the log is unreadably compressed if I leave off the quotes.
I've tried qq//, escaped \", escaped \',  and many other ways of escaping
quotes. Any suggestions?

Full rsync string:

rsync -Cclrtvzn --log-format="%h %a %l %o %f %t %u %c" /localdir
user at server:/remotedir

Many thanks,
Shifra

--