mirror whole hard disk with rsync

Marc Perkel marc at perkel.com
Thu Feb 19 15:48:23 GMT 2004

Dick - that doesn't answer the man's question.

mount the other drive say as "/backup"

rsync -ax --delete --force / /backup/

I think that will do it.

You might want to run a list of rsync commands on a list of directories
if you are coppying a lot of files. I do the same thing where I back up
critical files with one script hourly - other user files nughtly - and
the system stuff manually after installing new software. I like doing it
this way rather than raid 1 becaue if I screw up I can use rsync to undo it.