File walking issue?

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Feb 18 17:27:01 GMT 2004

On Mon, Feb 16, 2004 at 11:19:25PM +0000, Andrew Liles wrote:
> Second: assume a file has an identical file size then rsync must
> examine the file to see if it is the same. It does, in essence, by
> doing a checksum on the file;

This is not correct.  The default "is unchanged" algorithm uses just the
size and the modify-time of the files, so it only needs to stat the
files.  If you specify -c, rsync checksums _all_ the files.  There are
also other options to modify how rsync decides a file is unchanged (e.g.
-I and --size-only), but these are specialty options that are not
typically used.