rsync 2.6.1cvs dumps core when preserve_hard_links and backup

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Wed Feb 11 00:21:26 GMT 2004

On Tue, Feb 10, 2004 at 03:26:15PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:
> CVS has a simplified test now that should avoid the segfault.
> It is just for a verbose message.

I don't see how the message is useful at all since the code should never
call down to keep_backup() with anything but the one "lead" member of
the group of hard-linked files.  In older versions of rsync I don't see
how it would ever have been output.  In the CVS version it looks like it
might get output if we're transferring the non-first item in the list of
hard-linked files, but I think we need to change the backup code to deal
with this.

One solution would be to create a set of hard-links in the backup dir
whenever one of the hard-linked files changes (the current code only
backs up the lead file, creating no hard links to the other names).
Another solution would be to use the name of the lead file in the group
as the backup file name, even if we're transferring a file from further
down in the list.  I don't like this solution because it can still be
inconsistent if the head file in the group changes.