memory reduction

Phil Howard phil-rsync-2 at ipal.net
Mon Feb 9 04:05:21 GMT 2004

On Thu, Feb 05, 2004 at 09:27:51PM -0800, jw schultz wrote:

| As those of you who watch CVS will be aware Wayne has been
| making progress in reducing memory requirements of rsync.
| Much of what he has done has been the product of discussions
| between he and myself that started a month ago with John Van
| Essen.
|
| Most recently Wayne has changed how the file_struct and its
| associated data are allocated, eliminating the string areas.
| Most of these changes have been small and relatively low
| impact although combining the allocation of the file_struct
| with the strings does impact the memory management of
| file_struct.

I've always felt that there would be some advantage to having a flag
to specify incremental operation, where file names are collected and
processed in only one directory recursion at a time (e.g. all levels
of a path, but that's it).  So if I am syncronizing /usr and it is in
/usr/local/bin at the time, then each end would be hold the name list
from /usr and /usr/local and /usr/local/bin.  As soon as it gets done
with a given directory, it frees up the space held for it.