excludes

tim rsync at nsr500.net
Fri Feb 6 03:56:33 GMT 2004

jw schultz wrote:
> On Wed, Feb 04, 2004 at 04:33:20PM -0800, tim wrote:
>>files, and caches.  The problem is getting rsync to include the directory
>>name but exclude its contents, a condition not clearly covered in rsync(1),
>>EXCLUDE PATTERNS.
>

> That isn't difficult nor do i find it to be poorly explained
> in the current manpage.

It was not only fairly obtuse on the 2.5.4 man page but searches in and out
of the archives (google) failed to turn up one clear example of directory
entry minus contents, which is the most frequent exclude operation for
anyone doing whole system synchronizations as I am.  Ordinary, albeit
sophisticated, users might appreciate adding the floating tmp
(- **tmp/*) example in the current man page.

> Most of your + lines could be dropped.  I left the coments
> in place.

Appreciated.  I'll give it a test, perhaps even same some list cycles.

rgds,
tim.