excludes

tim rsync at nsr500.net
Thu Feb 5 00:33:20 GMT 2004

Kevin Moschallski wrote:
> Hi i tried to use rsync to backup my remote server.I want to exclude
> folder like /var /proc ... .I use --exlude-from=/etc/rsync/excludes
> the file looks like this:
>
> - */var/*
> - */proc/*
>
> etc.
>
> My problem is that i run vservers on this machine and i don't want that
> the folder like /proc in this vservers are backuped how can i exclude
> all paths wich contain such foldernames?

When using rsync to maintain incremental backups significant space can be
saved on the backup server by excluding directories that have non-critical
or transient data such as /tmp, /proc, /mnt, /cdrom, object and backup
files, and caches.  The problem is getting rsync to include the directory
name but exclude its contents, a condition not clearly covered in rsync(1),
EXCLUDE PATTERNS.

I use a separate backup server and pull from LAN clients but any model
should work.  To test, add '-n -vv' to your rsync command and grep for
exclude and include statements.  Feedback: rsync at nsr500 dot net.

Remote client example:
    rsync -nvva --stats --delete --exclude-from=<file> -e ssh \
    <client>:/ /<rsync_dir>/<client>/ | egrep '^excl|^incl'

The following rsync exclude file works on my RH 7.3 (2.4.23) and RH 6.2
(2.2.25) based systems for rsync 2.5.4.  You may want to edit to suit
your specific needs.

### BEGIN rsync exclude file
### directory entries, no directory contents
### tmp, anywhere in tree ###
+ tmp/
- **/tmp/**
### transient, from root (/) ###
+ /proc/
- /proc/**
+ /mnt/
- /mnt/**
+ /cdrom/
- /cdrom/**
+ /tmpfs/
- /tmpfs/**
### cache, anywhere in tree ###
# mozilla
+ Cache/
- **/Cache/**
# ccache.samba.org
+ ccache/
- **/ccache/**
+ .ccache/
- **/.ccache/**
# others
+ cache/
- **/cache/**
+ xover-cache/
- **/xover-cache/**
### obj ###
# kernel
- usr/src/**.o
# special library .o (may be RH specific?)
+ usr/*/lib/**.o
+ usr/lib/**.o
# all others
- *.o