rsync ssh problem...

Paul Simpson paul at realisestudio.com
Wed Feb 4 15:26:19 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I keep getting the following error when trying to use ssh: (with rsync
2.5.7)

[root at drone2 root]# rsync --rsh="ssh -lpaul" clinton::
paul at clinton's password:
rsync: server sent "" rather than greeting
rsync error: error starting client-server protocol (code 5) at main.c(1043)

...while using root works!  ie,

[root at drone2 root]# rsync --rsh="ssh -lroot" clinton::
root at clinton's password:
usr5prod        usr5 production
usr3prod        usr3 production

I can open a normal ssh shell on clinton just fine as user paul.  I've
looked all over the web and can't find any clues.  Can anyone help me here?

My setup is:

[root at clinton etc]# cat rsyncd.conf
uid = root
gid = root
#use chroot = yes
max connections = 2
#auth users = rangi, paul
#secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets

[usr5prod]
        path = /usr5/production
        comment = usr5 production
[usr3prod]
        path = /usr3/production/
        comment = usr3 production

[root at clinton etc]# ls -l rsyncd.*
-rw-------    1 root     root          250 Feb  4 00:39 rsyncd.conf
-rw-------    1 root     root           32 Feb  4 15:11 rsyncd.secrets

ie, I've turned off user authentication for the moment.  I've also tried
uid/gid as paul and chown paul:paul rsyncd.conf as well.  No luck.

help!

Cheers,

Paul