rsync 2.6.0 causing incredible load on Linux 2.4.x?

Clint Byrum cbyrum at spamaps.org
Tue Feb 3 01:35:17 GMT 2004

On Mon, 2004-02-02 at 14:51, jw schultz wrote:
> On Mon, Feb 02, 2004 at 02:01:15PM -0800, Clint Byrum wrote:
> > Hi everyone. Has anyone experienced rsync 2.6.0 causing huge amounts of
> > system load? Especially on Linux 2.4?

<snip>

> There aren't too many things that would account for this.
> The only one i can think of is an exclude pattern that
> causes pathalogical behavior with the new pattern matching
> code.  2.6.0 also defaults to ssh and if you have ssh doing
> compression by default that could affect it.
> You don't show your command-line so nothing else comes to
> mind.

rsync -Wa --exclude=*tmp* --exclude=SYSLOCKS* --delete --delete-after /localsource $box::dest/dir

That looks like pretty normal exclude stuff to me. I'm copying the
entire dataset over to a throw-away box to test the idea, since I would
imagine part of the problem would be the file list itself. That will
take me a while though.

> > Oh, and one other thing... whats up with this:
> >
> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root      1294978 Jan 30 12:54 /usr/local/rsync-2.6.0/bin/rsync
> > -rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       216785 Dec  3 20:42 /usr/bin/rsync
> >
> > Has rsync really added 5 times as many features? More error checking?
> > Just curious really. They're both stripped binaries in case thats what
> > you were thinking. ;)
>
> Most likely differences in the build options and environment.

DOH! I dunno why I thought it was stripped. :-P How embarassing...

-rwxr-xr-x    1 clint    ccast      177664 Feb  2 17:33 rsync.stripped

Thats my 2.6.0 binary stripped. Its smaller now! :-P