ssh rsync problem

Harm Aarts haarts at cs.uu.nl
Tue Dec 21 14:09:43 GMT 2004

Hi all,
I recently acquired a laptop which brings the grand total of computers
at three. 1 laptop, 1 server, 1 desktop. Now the problem I want to solve
is the following: Because I work on both my laptop and desktop I would
like to sync data in my prj/ directory to my server. So when I logon I
sync my data from to server to the computer I currently working on and
when I logoff I sync the data back.
Rsync looked ready for the job but I have only a partial working system.
On the server:
/etc/rsyncd.conf
motd file = /etc/rsyncd.motd
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

uid = nobody
gid = backup
hosts allow = 192.168.1.3, 192.168.2.3

[homesync]
    path = /home/xxxx/rsync/prj
    comment = Mijn eigen rsync server
    read only = no
    list = yes
    auth users = harmrsync
    secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.scrt

[test]
    path = /tmp/test

/etc/rsync.scrt
harmrsync:12345678

So far so good, if I run locally:
server:/etc# rsync localhost::
This is my test Message Of The Day

homesync        Mijn eigen rsync server
test

Great! That appears to work, further test reveil locally a working
system. But now to my desktop system, when I try to run:
harm at castle:/tmp$ rsync --verbose --progress --recursive --stats \
--rsh=/usr/bin/ssh 192.168.1.1:test /tmp/test
Password:
receiving file list ...
rsync: link_stat "/home/harm/test" failed: No such file or directory (2)
0 files to consider
client: nothing to do: perhaps you need to specify some filenames or the
--recursive option?
rsync error: some files could not be transferred (code 23) at main.c(723)
harm at castle:/tmp$

This puzzles me. Why is rsync looking in the /home/harm/test
directory??? I think I told it otherwise in the [test] clause in the
rsyncd.conf. When I try:
harm at castle:/tmp$ rsync --verbose --progress --recursive --stats
--rsh=/usr/bin/ssh 192.168.1.1:/tmp/test /tmp/test
everything works fine again. But this is not what I want! In want only
the test and homesync module to be allowed!

Can anybody help me? Thanks in advance.

Wtih kind regards,
Harm Aarts