rsync: a bit of confusion

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Dec 7 09:06:26 GMT 2004

On Mon 06 Dec 2004, Payal Rathod wrote:

> This is the first time I have setup rsync.conf like,
[...]

> Then from 192.168.10.10, I tried,
> rsync -avz -e ssh root at 192.168.10.1:/var/qmail/control/* .
> and it worked. So far so good. But then again it worked from 192.168.10.11

Rsyncd.conf is only used when running rsync as a daemon; when invoking
it via ssh like you do, the rsyncd.conf isn't used at all.
(It's possible to start rsync in daemon mode over an ssh connection, but
that's a bit exotic IMHO.)
Also note that you passed a wildcard, it's better to let rsync do the
expansion, which it will do as you gave the -a option.

You connect to the rsync daemon by using a command line like:
rsync -avz 192.168.10.1::qmail-control .
Of course, you will have to have started the daemon on 192.168.10.1
first.

Paul Slootman