rsync creating 0-length files?

John Van Essen vanes002 at umn.edu
Wed Dec 1 07:04:39 GMT 2004

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Dan Stromberg <strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu> wrote:

> We were doing a roughly 1 terabyte transfer, and upon running a python
> script to verify the integrity of the transfer, we discovered a small
> number of files that were 0 length, that shouldn't have been, all in the
> same user's account.

In the same user's account, eh?

On Tue, 30 Nov 2004, Wayne Davison <wayned at samba.org> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004, Dan Stromberg wrote:
>> If a close were to fail, wouldn't that normally mean that you just
>> wouldn't get the last block sync'd out to disk, rather than an entire
>> multi-K or multi-M file would be 0 length?
>
> If the disk is full (i.e. out of blocks, but not inodes) or if the user
> is over quota, you'd typically get a 0-length file (but the program may
> not get any errors until the close call, when the data gets flushed out
> to disk).

Speaking from rsync experience, if a *nix partition becomes completely
full, you do get an immediate NO SPACE error on a write() and rsync
reports it.

But since all the problems were associated with a particular user,
perhaps it is a quota issue, and write() calls in that case might
not return an error (which would be unfortunate...).

Dan - can you check that user's quota?

    John