rsync creating 0-length files?

Dan Stromberg strombrg at dcs.nac.uci.edu
Wed Dec 1 00:13:18 GMT 2004

On Tue, 2004-11-30 at 12:45 -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 30, 2004 at 12:10:05PM -0800, Dan Stromberg wrote:
> > Is there any precedent for rsync creating 0 length files that should've
> > had content in them?
>
> Are you using 2.6.3?  Older rsync versions did not check the return of
> the close() call, which could result in lost information if a disk (or
> per-user quota) filled up.  The latest rsync should not do that.
>
> ..wayne..

We've changed our rsync versions over time.  We're using 2.6.3 for all
of our rsync's now, but it's possible some of us (read: IBM staff) may
have used an older one.

If a close were to fail, wouldn't that normally mean that you just
wouldn't get the last block sync'd out to disk, rather than an entire
multi-K or multi-M file would be 0 length?

Thanks!