rsync crashing Redhat RHEL3.0 server

Paul Slootman paul at debian.org
Tue Aug 31 11:43:17 GMT 2004

On Tue 31 Aug 2004, Daniel Berhane wrote:

> We are using rsync to mirror around 10 of our websites from dedicated
> server A to dedicated server B runing RHEL 3.0 and rysnc v2.6.3pre1 in a
> daemon mode. I am using the following crontab script command on dedicated
> server A:
>
> /usr/local/bin/rsync -avz -e "ssh -i
> /home/users/admin/publicKey-for-server-B" /home/serverA/site3
> serverB::home/mirror
>

> Dedicated server B (where the mirroring of websites from server A is done)
>  is sometimes crashing with the following error message from the linux
> kernel:
>
> Aug 29 22:47:02 ns2 kernel: eth0: Memory squeeze,deferring packet.
> Aug 29 22:47:23 ns2 kernel: eth0: NULL pointer encountered in Rx ring,
> skipping

Sounds like you're running out of memory (and swap as well).
I'd suggest adding memory (adding more swap doesn't make it faster...)
or rsyncing smaller bits at a time if possible (if there are many
hardlinks across directory trees it may not be feasible to do parts
separately as those hardlinks will be lost, for example).

Paul Slootman