Using --keep-dirlinks : recursive symlinks problem

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sun Aug 22 04:05:12 GMT 2004

On Fri, Aug 20, 2004 at 04:50:45PM +0400, Ivan S. Manida wrote:
> lrwxrwxrwx   1 bldmstr  staff         2 Aug 20 12:07 bogus -> ..
>
> if you use '--keep-dirlinks --delete' rsync goes into recursion trying
> to delete unexisting directory at destination.

Yeah, that's what all older rsyncs would do when --copy-links was used
in that situation (--copy-links used to have the unexpected side-effect
on the receiver of the new --keep-dirlinks option).  I also note that a
looping symlink on the sender would result in a similar loop trying to
find all the files to send (it's not infinite, since the names will
eventually either exceed the symlink recursion limit or the maximum
path-length).

I'm debating whether this is something that should be guarded against or
not.  Opinions welcomed.