rsync to a destination > 8TB problem...

Steve Bonds knnf6cy7w001 at sneakemail.com
Wed Aug 11 15:55:14 GMT 2004

On Tue, 10 Aug 2004, Matt Miller m.miller-at-duke.edu |Rsync List| wrote:

> I am trying to use a large (10TB) reiserfs filesystem as an rsync
> target.  The filesystem is on top of lvm2 (pretty sure this doesn't
> matter, but just in case.)  I get the following error when trying to
> sync a modest set of files to that 10TB target (just syncing /etc for
> now):
>
> rsync: writefd_unbuffered failed to write 4 bytes: phase "unknown":
> Broken pipe
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(836)

This is unfortunately a fairly generic error message that means the
remote/child process died suddenly without passing back any information
about why.

Here's a message from Wayne on why the error message is so generic:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-July/010204.html

I'd suggest following the same debugging steps I used to track down a 2GB
bug on HP-UX:

http://lists.samba.org/archive/rsync/2004-July/010197.html

The best results were from running rsync under "tusc" (in your Linux case
it would be "strace") and sifting through the voluminous output to find
the write() that failed and why.

  -- Steve