cwRsync, Windows-2000, use of 'auth users': not working .... shou ld it?

GUZZI, ANTHONY aguzzi at avivausa.com
Fri Aug 6 17:58:25 GMT 2004

ENVIRONMENT:
      RSync client:    Sun Solaris 8 running 'rsync' version 2.4.6
      RSync server:   Windows-2000 running 'rsync' version 2.6.0 (cwRsync)

I'm trying RSYNC files from the Sun server to a Windows 200 server (Why
Unix-->Windows?  Because the Windows box has gobs of unused disk space and
the Unix box is strapped for it) and am having problems with authentication.
Without a 'auth users' entry for a module, the sync go fine.  With an 'auth
users' entry, I'm getting the '@ERROR: auth failed on module ....' error
message.  I've verified that the format of the authenicated users file is
correct, that the path specificed in the RSync config file is correct, and
have stopped and restarted the rsync server on the Windows box more times
then I'd like to think about.  I've tried executing the sync from the Unix
box both with having to supply the password at the prompt as well as via the
RSYNC_PASSWORD environment variable.  I've even tried using the username and
password of the local account under which the service runs ..... no luck.

Below is the config file along with the secrets file that I'm using.  What
am I missing?  Is it just that authentication by an Windows-based RSync
server is not supported?  If it isn't, I can't find any reference to that on
any list or in any forum (at least nothing current).

> Tony Guzzi
> UNIX Systems Administrator
> Aviva Life Insurance Company

=========RSYNC.CONF==================
use chroot = false
strict modes = false
log file = rsyncd.log
pid file = rsyncd.pid
secrets file = rsync-users.txt
hosts deny = *
read only = true

[PD9D]
path = /cygdrive/c/OracleArchives/PD9D
read only = false
transfer logging = yes
auth users = tony
hosts allow = oracle01

tony:passwd

the system manager.
anti-virus software for the presence of computer viruses.