Rsync and open files

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Mon Aug 2 19:04:57 GMT 2004

Rsync does not handle open files.  Your operating system does.  Either
the OS allows rsync access, or it doesn't.  Quick crib sheet:

Normal behavior for *BSD or Linux systems: the root user has access to
any file, at any time.  Non-root users may or may not, depending on
system configuration, but in my experience read-only use of open files
is nearly always permissible on these systems, in the absence of special
preparation otherwise (custom FLOCK, etc).

Win32 systems: These systems DO NOT allow access to open files, even for
reading.  Even if you are asking under Administrator or LOCALSYSTEM
credentials.  There is a workaround, but it costs a lot of money
(approximately $850 last time I checked): the St. Bernard Open File
Manager.  The aforementioned app will allow you access to files which
are currently under a no-read lock; without it, rsync just throws an
error, skips the file, and moves on to the next one in queue.

HTH.

Jim Salter
JRS Systems