[rsync-announce] Rsync 2.6.1 released (includes security note)

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Tue Apr 27 17:52:11 GMT 2004

rsync-announce at lists.samba.org wrote:

> Rsync version 2.6.1 has been released.  It is primarily a performance
> release that requires less memory to run, makes fewer write calls to
> the socket (lowering the system CPU time), does less string copying
> (lowering the user CPU time), and also reduces the amount of data
> that is transmitted over the wire.  There have also been quite a few
> bug fixes.  See the release NEWS for the full details:

I just tried a simple test of 2.6.1.  I still need to do more testing, but here
is some data that shows a decrease in  cpu time. The test results varied
depending on other external loading, but here is some representative data:

rsync 2.5.6 both ends -- 200,000 files (source files read via nfs, dest is over
ssh to local disk)

real    27m48.939s
user    0m14.910s
sys     0m19.490s
approx memory both sides 30M -- receiver had a 18M jump at the end to 48M

rsync 2.6.1 both ends-- same tree, same setup

real    15m30.547s
user    0m9.840s
sys     0m16.910s
approx memory both sides 22M -- receiver had a 18M jump at the end from 20G to
38G

real time shows a good speed up. (not 100% meaningful unless you have a very
controlled test environment)

user time shows a good speed up.

sys time also shows a speed up.

memory use appears to be less.

These performance fixes look like they could be helpful. My current bottlenecks
are probably still the link speeds to remote locations and the nfs source read,
but this new rsync might help some too.

eric