newbie question about using rsync for backups

Ryan Kilgore ryan at inness.org
Tue Apr 27 02:42:46 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm wanting to make weekly backups of host qin to host elijah. I set a
crontab to run a script that effectually executes this rsync command:

rsync -ave ssh --exclude-from=excludes.txt --delete /
elijah:/home/backup/qin

host qin is running gentoo linux with rsync version 2.5.6.
host elijah is running debian linux (stable) with rsync version 2.5.7.

the excludes.txt file looks like this:

+ /proc/
- /proc/*
+ /dev/shm/
- /dev/shm/*
+ /tmp/

+ /mnt/
+ /cdrom/

I pieced this together from bits I read in different emails in the list
archives.

Basically, I want to have a fully functional system should host qin
suffer complete system failure by moving the entire directory structure
back to a hard drive on qin.

Since I'm new to rsync, can somebody tell me if I'm doing this right?
I'd hate to find out that I wasn't making proper backups after the
fact.

-Ryan