More confusion on exclude rules

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Fri Apr 23 20:38:57 GMT 2004

On Fri, Apr 23, 2004 at 04:13:19PM -0400, Dave.Turner at VerizonWireless.com wrote:
> In, my config, why does [- /*] exclude
> [+ nflmg/scripts/regional/misc_loaders/] but not [+ bin/]?

It doesn't.  Read what I wrote again.  It excludes nflmg.  The manpage
talks about how the algorithm is recursive -- all directories on the way
down through the hierarchy-scan must avoid exclusion or rsync will never
get down far enough to the place where that rule would match something.

> Also, the config you gave me, still ignored
> [+ nflmg/scripts/regional/misc_loaders/]

That rule isn't in my suggested exclude file (mine has a prefixed '/' on
the path portion).  If that's not a typo, double-check the exclude file.

Q:  is nflmg in the base directory of the transfer? i.e. is the bin dir
and the nflmg dir in the same parent dir?  I assumed from the way you
wrote your exclude file that this was the case.  However, your initial
comments referred to the paths in a way that might indicate that this
is not the case (I initially figured you just cited one incorrectly).