temporary file

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Mon Apr 19 17:44:54 GMT 2004

On Mon, Apr 19, 2004 at 08:06:36AM -0600, Tim Conway wrote:
> If the samba share is a bottleneck, I'd bet you'd get a big boost by
> using the --whole-file option...

Yes, or better yet moving the receiving rsync onto the machine that is
actually storing the data.  This is the only way that rsync can actually
save network bandwidth: its algorithm trades disk I/O and CPU to reduce
the data it is sending between the two processes; if the disk I/O is
actually generating network I/O, then you're usually better off using
--whole-file (if you can't make each of the rsync processes run on the
appropriate machine for local disk I/O).