temporary file

Tim Conway conway at us.ibm.com
Mon Apr 19 14:06:36 GMT 2004

no.
it creates the temporary file, then deletes the old file and renames the
temp file to the correct filename.  Unless samba won't let you rename a
file, (I know windows moves within a filesystem are copy/deletes, at least
with cygwin on windows 2000), there's no actual waste there.  I'd expect
rsync to work pretty well with samba, considering its ancestry.

If the samba share is a bottleneck, I'd bet you'd get a big boost by using
the --whole-file option... it kind of depends on the nature of your data,
the filesystem, and the link between the systems.

Tim Conway
Unix System Administration
Contractor - IBM Global Services
desk:3032734776
conway at us.ibm.com

I did the following command:
rsync -a --delete cpbackup /mnt/backup/

It works well, but the problem is that it seens the "temporary files"
(ie: -rwxr-xr-x 1 root root 83623936 Apr 19 2004
.name.tar.gz.yGk7m7* ) are being created on /mnt/backup/

Since it's a SAMBA mounted partition, it waste BW and is slower.
Is there a way to specify where I want the temp files to be created?