RSync on Windows 2003

Stephane Rohart ROHART at archimed.fr
Fri Apr 16 12:24:02 GMT 2004

Hello,

I'm desperately trying to have a RSync server work on a Windows 2003
Standard Server.
All the documentation available I have found applies to Windows NT/2000/XP
I don't know whether 2003 works differently from the previous Windows.

I have installed the cwrsync package.
The RSyncServer Service is running fine under a user account named cwrsync.
A successful Telnet on the port 873 tells me that the rsync service is
responding.

Here is my rsyncd.conf File :
use chroot = false
strict modes = false
hosts allow = *
log file = rsyncd.log
pid file = rsyncd.pid

[test]
path = /cygdrive/c/ARCHIMED_INSTANCE/MASC/Standard/cwrsync/DATA/
read only = false
transfer logging = yes

>From what I have seen in web pages, this file is correctly configured.

Here is my rsync command line for testing the service locally :
rsync -vz "/cygdrive/c/ARCHIMED_INSTANCE/MASC/Standard/cwrsync/doc"
cwrsync at localhost::test

I keep getting the following error :

@ERROR: chdir failed
rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (33 bytes read so far)
rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(189)

I guess chdir refers to the directory with the files to be copied (the one
in the rsync command line)
but I can't figure why there is an error. I've checked and rechecked the
path.
The account cwrsync has full control over the chdir so it should see it.

I really don't understand what's going on.
Is this problem Windows 2003 related ?
Does ssh have anything to do with it ?
Or is it some dumb configuration mistake I've been missing these last 3
hours ?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Stéphane Rohart