Feature proposal and implementation plan: --delete-delay

Jim Salter jim at jrssystems.net
Wed Apr 14 23:38:39 GMT 2004

Just a note:

I do something similar to what you describe, using a Perl script to
invoke rsync with the --backup-dir= option.  I back up system drives to
a considerably larger archive volume using the backup-dir= option to
shunt old versions of files (and deleted files) into hierarchies named
after the dates they were originally synch'ed across.  Before the daily
backup runs, though, my Perl script "preens" the backup filesystem by
checking for old archived versions of files that have reached
"retirement age" and then deletes them.

For example, on /backup, there is /backup/data and /backup/archive.  If
on 2004-04-14 I run my synch script and rsync needs to delete
/backup/data/deadfile.txt, it instead moves it using backup-dir= to
/backup/archive/2004-04-14/deadfile.txt.  When I run my synch script
again a month later, it first deletes the /backup/archive/2004-04-14
tree in its entirety before proceeding to the actual rsync'ing.

In actual point of fact, my preening is triggered by drive capacity and
usage levels, not age of archives, and once triggered it eliminates
archives from older to newer until usage is back down to a desired
percentage - but you get the idea.

Jim Salter
JRS Systems