include/exclude bug in rsync 2.6.0/2.6.1pre1

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Sat Apr 10 20:15:01 GMT 2004

On Sat, Apr 10, 2004 at 08:56:16PM +0200, John Bowman wrote:
> It's a question of precedence. Feel free to change the precedence of
> the "server" excludes.

That doesn't fix anything, it just switches around which lists have
the problem.  Also, server excludes MUST be obeyed because we want the
module to be able to specify files that the user never, ever gets, no
matter what.

[I wrote:]
> > Yet you don't supply a solution for the conundrum I posed.

> You can solve it on a directory-by-directory basis with rsync-exclude.

You mean by manually editing per-directory files instead of specifying
commandline options?  No thank you.  And not even possible if you're
talking about grabbing files from a remote server where you don't have
permissions to log in and tweak the files.

> But it gives the user no control over his backups. He is at the mercy
> of what the system operator types into the global exclude file.

What global excludes are you talking about?  The ones specified by a
server daemon's config file?  Those must be obeyed.  The ones in the
$CVSIGNORE file?  Yes, using -C does put you at the mercy of all the
cvsignore rules for the source hierarchy.  Currently, to get a CVS-
excluded file you have to turn off -C and ask for the file separately.
I agree that it would be nice to make that easier somehow, but I would
want it to be changed in a way that lets the command take full control
(without editing any per-directory files on the source system).