rsync is slowing down

Phil Howard phil-rsync-2 at ipal.net
Wed Apr 7 23:44:35 GMT 2004

On Sat, Apr 03, 2004 at 12:23:59PM -0800, Wayne Davison wrote:

| You can implement such optimizations on top of rsync using either
| excludes or the --files-from option.  For instance, if the sending
| side maintained an exclude file of old directories that didn't need
| to be transferred, you could write a script that would look for
| updated items and remove the appropriate exclusion.  An exclude list
| would have to be grabbed first from the remote side before it could
| be used, though.

How would the sending side know what directories are "old" for a
given receiver?  One receiving side may run their update today for
an old directory that had one file changed.  But another receiving
side may not run its update for a few more days or even weeks.

This sounds like the sending side needs to keep track of what each
different receiver has or doesn't have.  That's what I used to do
before rsync.