non-ASCII chars in filename

Alessandro Ranellucci alex at primafila.net
Sun Apr 4 10:00:42 GMT 2004

Hi all,

I'm rsyncing from FreeBSD box to MacOS X 10.2, both sides running 2.6.0.
Every time I launch rsync I get many errors like this:

 mkstemp "/web/Turur?/.8.jpg.2rYUAO" failed: No such file or directory

followed by:

 unexpected tag 77
 rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(469)

The directory "Turur?" is actually "Turur\371", but rsync doesn't create
it on the destination site, and then fails to apply permissions to its
contents. This is my command line:

rsync -avz -e ssh --delete --link-dest=/path/www \
  /usr/www/ backupserver:/backup/www

It's very important for me to fix this, even by not stopping the whole
transfer process (thus skipping files with non-ASCII chars) if it's
quicker.

Thanks,

--Alessandro.