Issue with rsync server 2.5.7 on OpenBSD 3.4.

Stas stas at webow.com
Sat Apr 3 16:02:22 GMT 2004

Thank you for the tip - an inend.conf had a wrong path to rsyncd.conf
specified. /usr/bin instead of /usr/local/bin.
Now it works as it should.

But please tell me the following thing - if the transfers aren't protected
by ssh, basically, anyone can tamper with data being uploaded, by a backup
process, and that way render it's unusable, right?

And what the implications of running the rsync server with inetd over ssh,
over it's invocation with a remote rsync via ssh? In both the cases, the
rsync daemon is being dynamically loaded and unloaded, right? Maybe it's
just better to run it's with a rsync --daemon and not invoke it each time?