Logging updated files?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Sep 26 22:31:30 EST 2003

On Sun, Sep 21, 2003 at 11:36:08AM -0500, Max Kipness wrote:
> Hello -
>
> I've been doing some experimenting this morning with logging and can't
> seem to get exactly what I'm looking for.
>
> What I'd like, is to be able to get a listing of all files that changed
> on the local side and that were updated to the remote side via rsync.
> The literal data info tells me how many bytes were transferred total,
> but I'd like to get the break down per file, or at the least just get a
> listing of the files rsync saw as different and therefore updated.
>
> I've played with --progress and --stats and not really found the info.
> The --progress option seems to show every file in the root regardless of
> whether it's actually different or not. The closest I've gotten is with
> the --log-format %f%l%b option which tells filename, file length, and
> bytes transferred. The problem with this is that there is always at
> least 40 bytes transferred for every file, so I'm not sure how I could
> tell if there is a very slight change in the file.

-v with or without --progress is only supposed to show the
files being transferred.  Unchanged files do not appear in
the list unless you use more --verbose and even then the get
additional labelling.  A single -v without --progress should
meet your minimum requirement.  If it is listing every file
you may be having a lot of false positives and want to
review the options you are using.

> Any ideas on how to do this accurately?

If you mean accuracy with regard to bytes transferred, no.
Perhaps someone else already knows but right now i don't
care whether that is bytes of the file or bytes on the wire.
Either way you won't get a measure of bytes of change.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt