updating server with rsync????

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Sep 24 18:41:08 EST 2003

On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 01:26:30PM +0530, Payal Rathod wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:01:15PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:45:19AM +0000, Payal Rathod wrote:
> > > Hi,
> > > I have 2 ftp servers with 3 identical users.
> > > I want server B to be updated of server A.
> > > Whatever changes mmade by users on server A should be made on server B
> > > say every 5 hours.
> >
> > As long as it is unidirectional, yes.
>
> Thanks all for the mails.
> I will explain a little more what I intend to do. I want to
> mirror a server. But that mirroring should happen every 5-6 hours.
> There are few users on server A. If that server fails due to hardware
> failures I should be able to migrate the whole system to server B with
> least possible downtime and least data loss.
> I have never ever used rsync or scp or these tools in my life. Can
> someone give an example? One example was rsync -azvv, where do i tell it
> to get only new and modified files? I have skimmed the manpage of rsync.

Read it instead.  What you say you want is exactly what
rsync does.  There are examples in the manpage, in the list
archives and elsewhere.

Also read http://www.catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html
(as it says on the end of every message on-list) if you find
these answers underwhelming.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt