updating server with rsync????

Payal Rathod payal-rsync at staticky.com
Wed Sep 24 17:56:30 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 11:01:15PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> On Wed, Sep 24, 2003 at 05:45:19AM +0000, Payal Rathod wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I have 2 ftp servers with 3 identical users.
> > I want server B to be updated of server A.
> > Whatever changes mmade by users on server A should be made on server B
> > say every 5 hours.
>
> As long as it is unidirectional, yes.

Thanks all for the mails.
I will explain a little more what I intend to do. I want to
mirror a server. But that mirroring should happen every 5-6 hours.
There are few users on server A. If that server fails due to hardware
failures I should be able to migrate the whole system to server B with
least possible downtime and least data loss.
I have never ever used rsync or scp or these tools in my life. Can
someone give an example? One example was rsync -azvv, where do i tell it
to get only new and modified files? I have skimmed the manpage of rsync.

Just an afterthought, if I add users on A can they be duplicated on B
automatically? What is the logic I should use here?

Thanks a lot again and bye.
With warm regards,
-Payal

--