Rsync and filename codepages

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Tue Sep 16 12:23:56 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 11:07:21AM +0900, Dylan Cuthbert wrote:
> Hi there,
>
> I am running rsync in server mode on linux (redhat 8) and I am running
> cygwin (latest version) on a mixture of win2k and winxp machines for
> Japanese users.
>
> When I Rsync from windows rsync complains about a no. of Japanese filenames
> (not all of them) and this is due, as far as I can work out, to
> incompatibilities/clashes between SJIS filename encoding (which Windows
> uses) and certain character sequences in linux filenames that are invalid.
>
> So I'd like to switch linux to be using UTF-8, does Rsync use the
> locale/LANG settings to convert filenames?

No.  Rsync doesn't care about any of that.  To rsync,
pathnames are a null terminated sequence of bytes with / as
a directory delimiter.  The only special characters are /
and NUL.  Rsync does not translate anything.

I have to wonder what filesystems you are using because
Linux treats filenames the same way as rsync: 8 bit NUL
terminated array of bytes.

> Maybe I need to patch it and merge in a version of the useful linux util
> "convmv" so the user can specify a "from" and a "to" codepage.
>
> Any ideas, as this is causing serious problems on japanese systems.

There have been earlier reports of codepage issues so you
might check the list archives to see the past fixes apply to
your problem.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt