Rsync and filename codepages

Dylan Cuthbert dylan at q-games.com
Tue Sep 16 12:07:21 EST 2003

Hi there,

I am running rsync in server mode on linux (redhat 8) and I am running
cygwin (latest version) on a mixture of win2k and winxp machines for
Japanese users.

When I Rsync from windows rsync complains about a no. of Japanese filenames
(not all of them) and this is due, as far as I can work out, to
incompatibilities/clashes between SJIS filename encoding (which Windows
uses) and certain character sequences in linux filenames that are invalid.

So I'd like to switch linux to be using UTF-8, does Rsync use the
locale/LANG settings to convert filenames?

Maybe I need to patch it and merge in a version of the useful linux util
"convmv" so the user can specify a "from" and a "to" codepage.

Any ideas, as this is causing serious problems on japanese systems.

Regards