FW: rsync performance

Dave Mangelsdorf (CBIZ Tech) DMangelsdorf at CBIZ.com
Fri Sep 12 22:35:01 EST 2003

Not sure if this is not the proper channel (forum) for this, but I need some
help.

We have been using rsync in various ways on various platforms.

Linux-SGI (IRIX)-MacOSX

In all cases the actual LOCAL file transfer seems to be limited to 10MB/sec
from disk to disk. Always copy whole files. (no rolling checksums)

Rsync –avW

rsync  version 2.5.6  protocol version 26

We have tested everything from Small I-mac, to 16 processor SGI server with
multiple fibre channel interfaces to very large disk arrays. Always tops out
at 10MB/sec, plus or minus.

Normal filesystem copies from raid to raid are in excess of 50MB/sec.

Any help would be appreciated

dave

Dave Mangelsdorf
CBIZ Network Solutions