rsync logfile - daemon does not log enough

Aaron Stanford aaron at stanford.bz
Fri Sep 12 07:06:50 EST 2003

I am running rsync version 2.56 in daemon mode on a server running Redhat 8.0.
When I check my log file (located in /var/log/rsyncd.log), the only lines I see
have to do with the server starting up, like so:

2003/09/11 16:53:42 [15025] rsyncd version 2.5.6 starting, listening on port 873

I would like to see output relating to connections, usernames etc., so I set up
the following rsyncd.conf file in /etc:

transfer logging = yes
log format = %u %f %b
log file = /var/log/rsyncd.log
pid file = /var/run/rsyncd.pid
lock file = /var/run/rsync.lock

[backup]
    path = ~backup
    uid = nobody
    gid = nobody
    read only =no
    list = yes
    auth users = djohn gstan
    secrets file = /etc/rsync.sec
information I'm looking for.  Thank you for your regard.

Aaron