Connection refused

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Thu Sep 11 23:32:18 EST 2003

On Thu, Sep 11, 2003 at 02:32:32PM +0200, Gert Romkes wrote:
> Dear sir,
>
> Having read all the descriptions of how easy it was to use rsync, I tried it
> for the replication of two servers.
> Testing
> 	rsync 10.0.1.4:/tmp/repl/ /tmp/repl
>
> I got the following error message (after a period which seemed to be a
> time-out):
>
> 	10.0.1.4: Connection refused
> 	rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
> 	rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at
> io.c(165)
>
> When I try rsh 10.0.1.4, I get connected and I'm able to work on the remote
> server.
>
> I'm using the latest version of rsync on SuSE 7.2 (the version that came
> with SuSE also didn't work)
>
> What am I doing wrong?

Not sure.  The behaviour of rsync is what i would expect if
rshd were not enabled on the remote system.  Try it with -vv
like so.

| $ rsync -vv 10.0.1.4:foo
| opening connection using rsh 10.0.1.4 rsync --server --sender -vvr . foo
                           ^^^ note remote shell command
| 10.0.1.4: Connection refused
| rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (0 bytes read so far)
| rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)

This being what happens with no rshd on the other end.
I never even install it and only my laptop even has rsh on
it so that is all the testing i can do. I only use ssh and
set the RSYNC_RSH environment variable.

I'd suggest checking to see if there might be something
special about the command-line rsh.  An alias perhaps such
that it either isn't really rsh or is using a non-standard
port.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt