No such file or directory - error

Wayne Davison wayned at samba.org
Thu Sep 11 15:51:38 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 10:34:54PM -0700, Wayne Davison wrote:
> The version in CVS properly outputs a warning to the user, so it looks
> like that bug is fixed for the next version (though I can't find it
> mentioned in the NEWS -- hmm).

Oops: that bug was fixed by Martin in 2.5.6.  (Upgrading to at least
2.5.6 would help you out in this regard.)

> There have also been some changes to improve the mkstemp error (to
> make it contain the full path to the temp file), but I note that it
> needs a little more improvement to handle daemon mode -- I'll look
> into that.

I've just checked-in some code that improves the various file-error
messages -- they now mention the path more exactly.  For modules, I
don't want it to disclose the module's "path" setting from the config
file (since that may not be public knowledge), but the message does
attempt to remind the user that we're talking about a relative path by
suffixing the module name and stripping a leading '/' from the path.
So, in the next rsync version you'll see an error like this for what
you tried to do:

mkstemp "etc/tinydns/root/.data.cdb.O5iagc" (in tinydns) failed: No such file or directory

Non-module errors will now include the entire path, so it would say
something like this in non-module mode:

mkstemp "/etc/tinydns/root/etc/tinydns/root/.data.cdb.O5iagc" failed: No such file or directory

Hopefully that will make some errors a little clearer.