some files already gzipped causes rsync to not compress any?

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Wed Sep 10 19:45:17 EST 2003

On Wed, Sep 10, 2003 at 02:21:32AM -0700, Steven Roberts wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:58:57PM -0700, jw schultz wrote:
> > On Tue, Sep 09, 2003 at 11:33:44PM -0700, Steven Roberts wrote:
> > > Greetings,
> > > We have encountered an odd performance issue in rsync (running version 2.4.6).
> > If you want any support you'll need to get something from
> > this century.  2.5.6 at least if not CVS.
> this seems to imply that 2.5.6 even is barely supported.  If this is the case
> then any ideas on when 2.5.7(or whatever) will come out?

I don't know when 2.5.7 will be released.  That is more a
matter of one of us dedicating the time to wrap it up than
it is of the team deciding when.  There are one or two
things i'd like to see resolved first that i've mentioned in
the recent past.

I think i can say that at this point only a security issue
would cause us to produce an official update to 2.5.6.  So
if there is a bug we won't be working on it in 2.5.6 but in
CVS.  My feeling is that it is hardly worth producing a
patch for someone who won't upgrade to at least the current
release and isn't ready to build from source.

> I can understand not getting much support for older versions (and 2.4.6
> is 3 years old).  But other OpenSource projects do support more legacy
> versions, I was really only seeing to see if one of the developers/users
> on the list knew of something in particular (and if it is fixed in 2.5.6
> great, gives me good leverage to get the new version approved for production
> use).

The behaviour you report is not consistent with my quick
perusal of HEAD.  Had it been i would probably have looked
further and done more than just recommend an upgrade.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt