continuing broken pipe problems

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Sep 8 11:12:17 EST 2003

On Sun, Sep 07, 2003 at 09:01:37PM -0400, Jim Salter wrote:
> Hello all -
>
> I am running rsync 2.5.6 on two FreeBSD 5.0 machines.  I have experimented
> with running rsync using ssh, with command lines like the following:
>
>      rsync -rv --progress jimbo at 192.68.100.10:/usr/share/smbshare
> /usr/home/jimbo
>
> And also with running rsync as a daemon on the master server, and syncing to
> it from the other machine like so:
>
>      rsync -rv --progress 192.168.100.10::test /usr/home/jimbo
>
> Either way, rsync will initially connect just fine, and will transfer some
> unspecified but fairly large (gigabyte or so) volume of data, until it
> eventually barfs on me with an error like the following:
>
>      rsync: read error: Connection reset by peer
>      rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(177)
>      rsync: connection unexpectedly closed (21928 bytes read so far)
>      rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(165)
>
> The machines in question are connected directly on a 100mbps switched LAN,
> with no routers or firewalls or anything of the sort in between them.
> Neither machine is running an IPFW firewall either.  I can directly copy or
> scp the same files between the two machines - or use smbclient, for that
> matter - without issue.
>
> I'm totally stumped here.  Can anyone help?

What you describe is that the sender is dying but you don't
get a message from it as to why.  Start by looking in the
rsyncd log file.  If that doesn't yield an informative
message try pushing the transfer (run it on the other system
with the args switched) then you should see an error
message.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt