[Follup Up]: Another Question about include-from

Max Kipness mkipness at geniant.com
Sat Sep 6 08:33:47 EST 2003

> I know this subject has been discussed time and time again,
> but everytime I think I've figured it out, I get stuck again.
>
> Here is the file structure, root is /:
>
> /var
> /etc
> /otherdir1
> /otherdir2
>
> I want to rsync the following:
>
> /var/spool/mail
> but nothing else in /var or /var/spool/
> /etc/httpd/
> /etc/mail/
> but nothing else in /etc
>
> Do I have to do this for example?
> + /var/
> +/var/spool/
> + /var/spool/mail/
> - /var/spool/dir1
> - /var/spool/dir2
> - /var/spool/dir3
> - /var/dir1
> - /var/dir2
>  -/etc, etc
> -/*
>
> And exclude every other dir at that level? Is there not a
> better way? Is this what the --files-from patch is for?

Well, I figured out that part of the problem was the beginning slashes
that didn't belong. I also figured out that you don't need to exclude
every directory, but can just use * for every level.

But is rsyncing various combinations at different levels easier to do
with the --files-from patch?

Thanks,
Max