using rsync with ssh to distribute to multiple hosts

Eric Whiting ewhiting at amis.com
Fri Sep 5 02:11:23 EST 2003

2 things to do that will fix things...

1. Read man ssh and create public/private ssh keys with an empty passphrase.
This will let the rsync run without a password -- you can cron it and it will
just work... You can also use .rhosts and sync over rsh, but ssh with the keys
is a better solution.

2. Consider the destination syncs in parallel. Use simple bash for loops with &
in the commands or use perl's Parallel::ForkManager to run several at once..  I
have used both methods with good success.

eric