rsync -vae ssh user@host1:/tmp/dir user@host2:/tmp/

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Fri Oct 31 09:40:06 EST 2003

On Thu, Oct 30, 2003 at 02:17:51PM -0500, Darxus at ChaosReigns.com wrote:
> On 10/24, jw schultz wrote:
> > No.
> >
> > Use ssh to set up port forwarding.  If you know not how, use
> > the ssh resources.
>
> I can't because of firewalls.
>
> workstation can connect to port 22 on both host1 and host2.  host1 cannot
> connect to any ports on either workstation or host2.  host2 cannot connect
> to any ports on either workstation or host1.
>
> So if I understand correctly, port forwarding cannot resolve this problem,
> and the only solutions are to either implement the syntax in the subject of
> this email in rsync, or download everything from host1 to workstation
> temporarily, and then upload it all to host2 ?

This is really an ssh issue but in breif.

workstation$ ssh -R 12304:host2:22 host1
host1$ rsync -e "ssh -p 12304" -a localhost:$src $dest

This is an approximation only.  The quotes are critical and
may need a little tuning.  You will need to do some work on
host identification to get it to work.

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt