rsync problem

Hardy Merrill hmerrill at redhat.com
Wed Oct 29 06:50:03 EST 2003

See below.

Jose Cheng [jcheng at math.ist.utl.pt] wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm trying to backup partition "/users1" on host "john"
> onto partition "backup1" on host "mary".
>
> Here is my rsyncd.conf:

To separate your rsync server log messages into their own
file, add this line to your rsyncd.conf at the top:

  log file = /var/log/rsync
> [backup1]
>    path = /backup1
>    use chroot
>    uid root
>    gid root
>    auth users = backup
>    secrets file = /etc/rsyncd.secrets
>    strict modes = true
>    hosts allow = 193.136.196.9
>    hosts deny = *
>

> It works with ssh as transport:
>
> [root at john]#rsync -avx -e /usr/bin/ssh --progress /users1/
> root at mary:/backup1
>

> ...but fails with remote rsync server:
>
> [root at john]# rsync -avx --progress --password-file=/root/rsync.passwd
> /users1/ backup at mary::backup1
> building file list ...
> rsync: error writing 4092 unbuffered bytes - exiting: Broken pipe
> rsync error: error in rsync protocol data stream (code 12) at io.c(463)

I searched on google for "rsync broken pipe" and found this
link:

  http://www.mail-archive.com/rsync@lists.samba.org/msg07253.html

which suggests that the error might be caused by the server
dying.  The author suggests looking in the rsyncd log file
(or syslog) for clues.

HTH.
--
Hardy Merrill