how rsync works

jw schultz jw at pegasys.ws
Mon Oct 27 10:05:05 EST 2003

On Tue, Sep 16, 2003 at 03:49:45AM -0700, jw schultz wrote:

> Aside from numerous other weaknesses that have crept into
> the manpage i do note that there doesn't seem to be any
> point where it is mentioned that rsync replaces destination
> files rather than updating them in-place.  I'm not sure
> where it would go in the current manpage.
>
> I'm no writer but i have been toying with the idea of a
> practical "how the rsync utility works for the
> non-mathematician" document.  This wouldn't be a how-to but
> would instead describe in broad terms what the rsync
> internals are doing, the three processes involved and a
> general sketch of the protocol.  Something that wouldn't be
> obsoleted by enhancements.

OK.  Having receive tepid encouragement i have produced a
first-draft of the document.

As i said "I'm no writer", this document no doubt has
structural defects and gaping holes as well as being worded
strangely.  I invite constructive comments and patches (on
list) but if someone else wants to pick up the ball and run
with it i would be pleased to hand it off.

I have formatted it in HTML so if you care it can
be found at http://www.pegasys.ws/how-rsync-works.html

	email address:		jw at pegasys.ws

		Remember Cernan and Schmitt