rsync --server --daemon is listening on stdin?

Matthew Eldridge eldridge at Graphics.Stanford.EDU
Mon Oct 20 09:20:30 EST 2003

Hi-

I've been trying to setup an rsync server on a WinXP box so that I can
sync files between my desktop and laptop.  I'm starting rsync as:

rsync --server --daemon --no-detach .

from a command prompt.

but I can never connect to it -- even "telnet localhost 873" doesn't
work. It seems that rsync is listening on stdin, rather than listening
on a socket.

When I type at it I immediately get an error message --

  @ERROR: protocol startup error

Is there anything special I need to do to convince rsync to use a
socket instead of stdin/stdout?  The only info I can find in the
documentation says that in daemon mode it will test stdin in to see if
it is a socket. Presumably it is failing this test, and therefore
should be starting its own socket, right?

-Matthew