rsync on OpenVMS

John E. Malmberg wb8tyw at qsl.net
Mon Oct 20 02:00:51 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 12, 2003 at 12:38:40AM -0400, John E. Malmberg wrote:
>
>>I am trying to restart getting rsync to run on OpenVMS, and find a way
>>around the fork() issue, posibly using POSIX threads.
>
> It occurs to me that i may have been overly encouraging in
> my last followup.
>
> Getting rsync to work using threads, whether pthreads or a
> superior form, will require enormous intrusive changes to
> the code.

While my testing is far from complete, and I have a few OpenVMS specific
things to work out, it appears that the changes to make the client use
pthreads were minor, and as of yesterday a client on OpenVMS is able to
properly replicate a sample directory of plain text files from a local
server running rsync on Windows 2000.

-John
wb8tyw at qsl.network
Personal Opinion Only