compression, built-in or ssh ?

Lapo Luchini lapo at lapo.it
Fri Oct 17 17:34:17 EST 2003

jw schultz wrote:

>>What is the general recommendation for compression when using ssh?
>>

>Use rsync's compression.
>

>>If so, is there a clear prefference which is more efficient, rsync or ssh?
>>

>Yes.

Why, if they both use zlib?

Moreover compressing "at a higher level" always seems a good diea to me
(e.g. if you compress the whole SSH session, you're sure *anything* is
compressed, if yuo let each application encrypt you have to nkow each
application, and maybe it does compress only data and not commands, just
to do an example).

In the case of rsync I always thought it was the same, and I never use
-z on rsync as I have compression on by default on SSH connections.

Any actual reason not to do that?

Lapo

--
Lapo 'Raist' Luchini